If you have mold growing in your home, you have a very dangerous situation that you need to take care of quickly. Mold can cause a number of serious health issues, and symptoms may start showing up fairly quickly, especially in young children and the elderly.
There are a number of different types of mold, but mold caused by water damage or leaks is the most common type that people have to deal with.
One of the reasons why mold is so dangerous is that it can be difficult to find. Many people expect to find mold in the shower or in their basement, but mold can infiltrate any part of the home.
If it floods, mold can start growing in the walls or under the carpet. Not all mold looks the same, either, so what may look like an oddly colored stain on the ceiling could actually be a type of mold.
Many people are allergic to mold and can have a reaction to it as soon as they’re around mold, which is why mold removal services should be called as soon as you think you have a mold problem.
In other cases, it may take some time for their allergies to kick in. This can make it very hard to determine exactly what the cause of their reaction is. People may react differently to mold, too, and show some symptoms but not others.
Those who do have an allergic reaction to mold may experience runny nose, sneezing, wheezing, coughing, red eyes, and even a rash if they come into direct contact with it. Those who have asthma may find that it’s much worse when they’re around mold.
Some molds even affect those without mold allergies. This is especially true in the case of black mold, one of the most dangerous types. It can cause skin and eye irritation and breathing difficulties because it releases mycotoxins into the air. These mycotoxins can get on people’s skin and into their lungs, causing irritation and other problems.
In extreme situations, people may develop a major reaction to mold. This may include fever and having difficulty breathing. Those who have chronic lung problems or who have a weak immune system have a higher risk of having one of these reactions.
Mold and Breathing Problems
Research done by the Institute of Medicine has shown that there is a link between being exposed to mold can cause coughing, wheezing, and upper respiratory tract symptoms even if a person has no mold allergy and is in good health. It may even lead to hypersensitivity pneumonitis, a disease that is like pneumonia.
Rare but Serious Symptoms
In a few rare cases, exposure to mold actually led to memory loss or pulmonary hemorrhage. However, the link between these conditions and exposure to mold is only casual, and other factors may have been involved.
Even so, it’s important to remember that any exposure to mold can cause breathing issues and other problems. It’s not something you want your family exposed to for any period of time, so make certain you hire mold removal services, from Active Restoration, as soon as you possibly can.