Why your Allergies could be Caused by the Mold in your Home

If water has gotten into your home and stood in the walls, under the floors, or in the ceiling, it can lead to the growth of mold or mildew. There are a number of different dangers that this mold can cause. Many people are allergic to mold, which is why they feel horrible when the outdoor mold out is high. If they’re living in a home full of mold, they’re going to be sick almost all the time. This can eventually lead to permanent breathing and other health issues. These allergies can also be caused by the mold in your home.

What is Mold?

Mold is actually a fungus, and it’s really far from dangerous. In fact, mold is necessary in the breakdown of dead plants, fruits, and vegetables. Mold spreads through fungal spores rather than seeds, and it’s these spores that people are actually allergic to. When the mold count is high, it means many of these spores are in the air. People breathe them in, causing an allergic reaction. But that’s outdoors in nature. Mold in your home is not natural and is often found in much more concentrated form.

Are you Allergic?

Are you allergic to mold? It can be difficult to tell without taking a mold allergy test. However, you can look for some of the signs of a mold allergy on days that the mold count is high. These signs include coughing, congestion, sneezing, itchy and watery eyes, and a postnasal drip. The symptoms closely mirror those of a sinus infection or the common cold. People with asthma may also notice that their symptoms get worse. Since mold grows throughout the year, a mold allergy isn’t seasonal. You may have a reaction at any time of the year, especially if you live somewhere that gets a large amount of rain.

Mold in Your Home

Mold loves to grow in damp, dark places. In most homes, you might occasionally see black spots in the toilet or shower. These small mold growths can easily be dealt with, and they’re really not much of a danger if you clean regularly.

However, if you’ve had leaks in your pipes or roof, flooding, or other water damage, you may have a larger problem. Mold could be growing in the walls, ceiling, floors, basement, crawl spaces, and in places such as under the sink. This mold is often found in larger quantities since you won’t see it, and it will spread. When this happens, you need the help of mold removal services. Dayton, Ohio residents will want to call in professional help as soon as possible.

The Source of Allergies

If you have mold growing in your home and don’t realize it, you’ll be exposed to the spores on a daily basis. Even if you don’t have much of a mold allergy, being exposed to mold on a constant basis can make even a mild sensitivity worse. As the mold grows, you may even start to develop other upper respiratory issues and, if exposed long enough to certain molds, even contract hypersensitivity pneumonitis, a pneumonia-like disease.

Contact the pros at Active Restoration today to learn what you can do about the mold growing in your home.

Written by Torrch
on August 31, 2015